Letter to Pops

  12/18/2020 - The letter below is one I sent to my dad in response to being prompted, confirmed and confirmed again by the Holy Spirit. I leave it here to have a copy forever and also to encourage others...either to accept Jesus with all that means and/or speak up to others about what you know to be true about Jesus. 

Much love, 

Sam


__________________________________________________________________________________________


Hey Pops - 


This is probably going to be a little lengthy…I had originally thought this would be a conversation face to face - but you prove to be impossible to nail down sometimes and I get the feeling that having emotional and deeper conversations with me is something you are not super comfortable with….and in all honesty it is hard for me too. But I need to talk to you...it was laid on my heart a long time ago and only recently have I realized that the fear keeping me from stepping up is silly - excuses are just that, excuses….and they have consequences. So I need to ask you a couple of questions - Dad I know that you have “heard” of Jesus, and you have “heard” the good news that His death reconciles your sins - that placing your trust in Him as your savior gives you eternal life with the Father. But what I don’t know Pops, is if you have accepted the gift of Jesus. If you have not I ask that you will...explore who He is and invite Him into your life today. Ask the questions and He will answer you - no one loves you more than He. I ask because I love you, and I want for you what I want for everyone I love - I want you to be with me in heaven. I certainly don't have all the answers but I am always willing to share what I know and what the Word says about this subject if you ever want to discuss. 


Then I think to myself….well Samantha, maybe he has accepted Christ already which brings me to the second thing that has been laid on my heart. Can you trust and believe Him at His word? Will you allow Him to lead you into His will? Do you fear like I did as a young believer that completely trusting Him meant suffering and harm for me? 


I ask you this dad because I see you….my personal super hero as a little girl -. I see a man that is loved so very much, but I’m not sure that you can see that. I see a man that is needed as much today as he was needed when I was 2...but I don't think you fully realize that. I see a man that has so much to give, a kind thoughtful heart that lives daily in the bondage of remorse and guilt from your past circumstances and choices. And I want to encourage you in that you don't have to live in a place of bondage - with Jesus you can walk into your future with purpose and assurance that you are forgiven…..completely and totally forgiven. You do not have to punish yourself daily for sins of the past because Jesus will use those circumstances for good. 


God created you Pops, to be my father….He blessed you and I with a special connection and bond. A connection that sometimes has been ignored because of the pain/guilt/fear surrounding things that have been left unsaid. The devil planted seeds of deceit/lies that took root in us both. As I have grown in my faith and in my personal relationship with Christ, He has shown me abundant grace as I have a multitude of sins that He has “forgotten” -  I can and strive to live my life under the covering of Christ Jesus and He advocates on my behalf. I know what I have done, I know that I don't deserve God's forgiveness nor Jesus' sacrifice...but God loves me so much that He gives salvation freely as a gift. It can never be earned by anyone....but the part I think so many people miss is that salvation is not the end of the story. No, God has a plan for each of us and the devil wants to keep us from that plan…We have divine purpose and a race marked out for each of us to run but the enemy wants to keep us wrapped up in so many lies, remorse, guilt, shame, etc that we never fully realize all God has planned for us. God's plans for us are of hope and redemption not loneliness/shame/sorrow. God knows all, His timing is perfect and nothing is wasted. He works ALL things together for the good of those called according to His purpose. YOU dad touch so many lives, and are needed, wanted and loved by so many of us. He created you to be a man of great strength and courage, He gifted you with talents and tasks only you can accomplish. We all have things we regret, situations where we wish that we had made a different less selfish choice. If not for Jesus - the darkness would win - only there IS Jesus...He calls us out by name, nothing can separate us from Him. Jesus wins not only in the end...but every single day. He does not leave us nor forsake us - He will use everything for good and to achieve His purpose. 


So all of this to say, Dad - I don’t know where you stand in your faith. I am praying that you will accept the gift of salvation thru Jesus if you have not already and that then you will walk with Him daily on the path He has laid out for you alone to receive all He has for you. This subject was laid on my heart a while ago….and I was not sure how to approach it, fear overwhelmed me. But if I have learned anything it is when the Spirit of God speaks you must follow...and Pops He spoke to me about you. God loves you, Jesus loves you, I love you! 


Comments

Popular Posts